Share This Craft
This ornament is a bit tedious, but fun to make. We like the illusion that the ellipses are colliding; it reminds us of the rings around Saturn. We used holiday cardstock, but double-sided cardstock would work, too!
Supplies & Tools:
- XXX-Large circle punchá(3" circle)
- X-Large circle punchá(2" circle)
- Large circle punchá(1.5" circle)
- Medium circle punchá(1" circle)
- Assorted decorative cardstock (4 pieces)
- Hot glue gun & glue sticks
- Ribbon, 1/8" wide
Cut Out Circles:
- Select the pieces of cardstock that you would like to use. We chose 4 different patterns, but any assortment will work.
- Using the XXX-Large circle punch, cut out 1 circle from each piece of cardstock.
- Take each of these circles, and put into the X-Large circle punch (one at a time). Cut out a circle, being careful that the XXX-Large circle is fully inserted in the X-Large punch. Now you will have 2 circles. Repeat for each XXX-Large circle.
- Repeat procedure using the large circle punch. Be sure to cut only 1 circle at a time.
Note: It can be tricky to get the circles into the punch. Try gently shaking the punch to get the circle centered in the punch. You may need to gently shake the punch to release the circles.
- Repeat procedure using the medium circle punch. Be sure to cut only 1 circle at a time.
- You will know have 4 circles for each colored cardstock.
- Mix and match the various circles as you like.
- Using a pencil, label circles A (largest), B, C, D (smallest) on the back of each circle.
- Use scissors to cut a small slit on the outer edge of circle D.
Note: We recommend cutting on the wider parts of the circle to avoid tearing the paper.
- Cut a small slit on the inside edge of circle C.
- Erase pencil marks from D and C.
- Slide D into the slit of C.
- Cut a small slit on the outer edge of circle C.
- Cut a small slit on the inside edge of circle B.
- Erase pencil mark from B.
- Slide C into the slit of B.
- Cut a small slit on the outer edge of circle B.
- Cut a small slit on the inside edge of circle A.
- Erase pencil mark from A.
- Slide B into the slit of A.
- You may need to adjust circles so that the printed side is visible.
- Using the hot glue gun, apply a small dot of glue on the unprinted side of the paper where each pair of circles is interlocked. This is to prevent the ornament from falling apart as well as keeping the circles from collapsing on one another.
- Use a piece of ribbon to hang the ornament on your Christmas tree.