Share This Craft
Ideas to Spruce Up Plain Papier-Mâché Ornaments
Have you ever seen those unfinished papier-mâché ornaments at the craft store and wondered what to do with them? With a little paint, a few shakes of beads & glitter, and your imagination, you’ll turn those drab ornaments into sparkly baubles! Round up your friends and have a painting party after which each person can take home a new ornament. (Pssst… Your kiddos can have fun making this craft, too—with your supervision, of course.)
Supplies & Tools:
- Papier-mâché ornaments
- Acrylic craft paint, any color(s) you like
- #11 seed beads, microbeads, and glitter
- Tacky glue
- Paper plate
- Lightly draw text or a design onto the papier-mâché ornament using a pencil.
- Paint the ornament as desired. Let dry.
- Apply tacky glue over the text/design. Use a toothpick to spread the glue so that it covers each letter.
Note: You could also use a paint brush, but a toothpick can give you better control.
- Working over a paper plate, sprinkle beads over the glue. Gently press the beads into the glue.
- Allow to dry.
Note: For 3D ornaments, use tape to hang it from the edge of the table.
- Repeat steps 3–5 if you want to add glitter or any other embellishments.